So I’m back on the greyhound thing y’all. I say that because some of you may want to tune me out at this point.
I look at my girl sleeping over there (you can see where I’m pointing, right?) and think, “How would my life be different if I hadn’t adopted you?” So, I’ll extrapolate. Good and bad. I promise.
If I hadn’t met and adopted Coombsy:
- I wouldn’t know the joys of a greyhound who will sit (really sit) for a cookie and give paw. Oh, and follow you around sitting in case you MIGHT have a cookie. Truly obedience trained…or at least she used to be.
- I wouldn’t know what it means, security-wise, to have a crate trained dog. I know where she is when I’m gone. Asleep in her crate.
- I wouldn’t know the absolute elation of a dog who truly LOVES squeaky toys. For around 2-4 minutes a day.
- I wouldn’t know what it’s like to have a velcro pup. STILL. After 7 years.
- I would never have had a dog that smiles. And giggles. She giggles sometimes.
Of course, she isn’t perfect. If I had not adopted Coombsy, I would never know about:
- Thunder phobia
- Canine first aid
- Dog aggression
- Water phobia
- Food issues
- Squirrel killing
- Toy dissecting
So what. I’ve learned so much about dogs…and people from Coombsy. And, I like to share it. Might be why I am so “on” about greyhounds and adoption lately. Greyhounds make GREAT pets. And I know they are not the dog for everyone. But, they are sweet loving animals. Companion pets. And, she’s just the love of my life. As was Free Free. And Flyer.