This is the recipe for the cake on my facebook page yesterday…two qualifying statements – this is NOT my recipe, I actually followed one, but I might have done something a little different if I was feeling inventive…but I wasn’t.
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c milk
2 c flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 c fresh blueberries
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
4 tbsp butter, cut into pieces
1. Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 9″ square baking pan.
2. With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and beat to combine. Add mil and mix until blended.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into wet ingredients. Mix just to combine.
4. Add blueberries and stir.
5. Transfer to baking dish.
6. For the topping, place the sugar, flour cinnamon, and butter in a mixing bowl. Cut in with a pastry blender until mixture resembles course crumbs.
7. Sprinkle the topping over the batter in the pan.
8. Bake until a cake tester inserted in center comes out clean, or about 45 minutes.
Serve warm or cold.
I would do something a little differently – I would make the cake, leaving out the blueberries, then press the cake batter into the pan, add the blueberries (remember to sweeten slightly if it’s near the end of the season, or they’re a little tart) on top of the cake batter, then drop the topping by teaspoonfuls onto the blueberries. Just a thought.
This recipe COMES FROM my baking bible: The Great American Baking Book by Patrician Lousada. Never had anything I baked from it come out badly. Go buy it if you want to improve your baking skills.