I will 100% credit Dr. Ruth Roberts for the basis of this recipe, but I’ve thought multiple times about writing down my bastardization of it and now I am…For a friend.
I tended to get everything organic and tend toward items that were non GMO.
- 3 lbs meat – I used to mix it up – 1 lb turkey, 1 lb chicken, 1 lb lamb
- 6 cups of greens (again, I tend to mix it up, but kale or spinach were my go-to
- 1 cup of vegetables (I tended toward carrots and green beans but broccoli or cauliflower would also do))
- 2 sweet potatoes or yams
- 1 can of kidney beans (although you might think GASSY, they will be cooked to DEATH and the gas will be gone)
- 1 Tums tablet (yeah, really)
- 1 cup of broth (chicken, beef, lamb) NO SODIUM!
Put in the crock pot in the order shown. Cook on low for 8 hours (I did overnight). Then add 1 cup of barley. If you don’t think your dog can digest barley (or quinoa or farro or even a small grain pasta like Orzo), add another cup of potatoes cut into small dice and cook for another hour.
Once it’s all done cooking, use a potato masher or a meat fork to smoosh it into small bites – also, consider (once cooled) using a food processor and just pulsing a few times.
I always froze half and then stored the other half in the fridge. Serving size depends on the dog. For my greyhound it was 1 cup. Sometimes I would add it to some high end kibble, if she was eating it.